For several months, I had been planning a kind of Grand Romantic Gesture to celebrate B’s birthday. Our five-day escape from home (and the kids) was supposed to include:
• Lunch at Curry Village in Kingston on Thursday
• The Toronto Symphony concert with Yannick Nezet-Seguin and Yundi Li on Thursday night, followed by dinner
• Lounging around until late-morning on 320-thread count sheets in a luxury downtown Toronto hotel
• Dinner with friends in Toronto on Friday night
• Reunion with friends in Thornbury on the weekend, with lots of laughter, wine, and outdoor pursuits
Instead, here’s what actually happened:
• My Mom called on Thursday morning to say she was sick and couldn’t look after the boys. Bye bye Curry Village and TSO.
• Went out for dinner with the family on Thursday night. Moments after the main course arrived, Aidan threw up. Rest of the meal was a blur.
• Woke up Friday feeling really crappy myself. Threw up several times and spent most of the next 24 hours in bed with cramps and a bad headache. Bye bye reunion with friends in Thorbury.
So, our romantic long weekend has been a near total disaster. Maybe I was too ambitious – perhaps I should have started with something smaller, like an overnight at the Motel 6 in Cornwall and breakfast at Denny’s. At least if that hadn’t panned out, I wouldn’t be experiencing the same sense of frustration and loss.